Thursday, April 30, 2020

[Linux Mint] Upgrading firefox 50.0.2 to firefox 75.0

Hello Techies,

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon back in 2016 on one of my laptops. Since a few days I have restarted using it and enjoying all the features and rapidity that this free environment is offering. However, some of the software I was using back in 2016 obviously got outdated.
I had some free time, so I updated one of the my favourite browsers, Firefox.
This is a guide to upgrade  firefox 50.0.2 to firefox75.0 (the latest version as of date).

1. Current old version on my laptop

2. Download the latest firefox package at mozilla.org.
3. Unpack the files
$ cd ~/Downloads/
$ tar xjf firefox-75.0.tar.bz2

4.Move unpacked folder from Downloads to /opt/firefox75
$ sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox75

5.Backup the old firefox launcher
$ sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox-old

6.Create a symlink pointing to the new Firefox version:
$ sudo ln -s /opt/firefox75/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

7.Launch firefox
$ firefox

No comments:

Post a Comment