This is a meaningful tutorial if you want to migrate your on-premises file servers to the cloud with AWS. A simple and beautiful way to achieve this is by
(1) creating a filesystem in FSx for Windows File Server
(2) migrating the data by using datasync
(3) create a task
(4) configuring the backup /restore
Today we will be focusing on creating a file system with a self-managed Microsoft Active Directory.
Part 1 of this exercise begins by :
1. Connect o AWS with your credentials.
2. Search for FSx in Services and select it.
3. Select 'Create file system'
4. Select 'Amazon FSx for Windows File Server' and hit on 'Next':
5. It will then ask you about the specifications of the file system details such as:
6. Review the configurations and create the file system. I used the least amount of resources since it was for testing.
7. The new share can be accessed through the DNS name:
Some additional notes:
- New file shares can be created by using the command > fsmgmt.msc
- Click on Action > Connect to another computer
- Select Another computer > Enter the DNS name
- Select "Shares" > Create a new Shared Folder by following the Wizard :
- Complete the wizard and move to the next part and that is of syncing the data from on-premise to the new created shared folder in Amazon FSx for Windows File Server.